Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) directorate
Ambo University has a vision of becoming one of the top teaching, research and community service universities in Ethiopia. From the teaching, research and community service missions of the university, the STEM director office has been established to serve the community at large in teaching science, technology, engineering and mathematics(STEM) program to the surrounding high schools students to disseminate the university science and technology developments to the wider community through interventions at schools. The STEM directorate of the university was established in 2019 and is addressing the wider school community with different modalities of services in science, technology, engineering and mathematics education. Since the establishment of the directorate, the summer outreach program was conducted in the Science and Mathematics (STEM) subjects to the some high schools in the mandated area of the university.
Ambo university STEM directorate has planned to build a center that provides the STEM services to model schools of the University and beyond by performing the following activities:
Project advising and incubating school students’ project works and creativity
- Organizing and supporting of school Science and Technology clubs
- capacity building for high schools teachers through training on STEM education
- providing training on virtual laboratory for teachers and students
- Provision of laboratory based hands-on education for talented school students, through:
an after-school short term training,
Summer training (outreach),
Campus shared Science Program (Grades 9 to 12) and
STEM camp programs during the semester breaks.
Developing and disseminating teaching and learning resources like; audio and video files, reference books, laboratory manuals, learning/teaching software and standardized exam items;
- Providing library, internet and laboratory services to students and teachers in elementary, secondary and preparatory schools.
- Provision of short term hands-on training on teaching science, and mathematics through playing/fun
- Developing museum outdoor and indoor exhibits and helping the community as a whole to learn through visits and playing
- Familiarizing the role of gardening practice for education to nearby schools and community.
Ambo University STEM directorate has also planned
- Establish STEM museum
- providing Mobile STEM Laboratory for schools in urban and rural areas,
- TV program in STEM for school students and community
- Summer and Semester break STEM Camps
- Technology Gardening
Strengthening the established programs through STEM campus shared programs, Science and technology club, organizing STEM fair(university, regional and national level), project competitions, science lab to lower grades(1-6).
Responsible Staff: Wubshet Ibrahim Lemessa
Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) directorate Contact Informations